The historical treasure of Ciudad Juarez was celebrated with love and events for all.
The Guadalupe Mission is the oldest temple in Ciudad Juarez. It was founded on December 8, 1658, and it´s consecrated by Fray Garcia de San Francisco, on April 2, 1662. As a faithful witness of major events during the war between Mexico and the United States, it functioned as a hospital and a shelter to heal the wounded, among other acts of transcendence.
This 2018 turned 350 years and, to commemorate them, the Pro-Celebration Committee established for the first time a program to learn more about the history of this building and invite the border community to live their Catholic faith in a happy atmosphere.
The events, held from October 6 to 27, started with the celebration of the massive Living Rosary, conducted at the Benito Juárez Olympic Stadium. Photographic exhibitions, round-tables, forums, recitals, and a theatrical representation of the Dedication to the temple were part of the activities; in addition, visits were organized to different missions located in the region and there was a ceremony of gratitude to the Franciscans, where a historical manuscript was handed out that had remained for 108 years in the library of the city of El Paso, Texas.
To conclude the celebrations with a flourish, a solemn Eucharist of Thanksgiving was officiated by Bishop José Guadalupe Torres Campos, followed by a concert, in the atrium of the Cathedral, by the Esperanza Azteca Orchestra and Chorus. Many more centuries, Guadalupe Mission!